Tuesday, September 1, 2009

TransRockies Pre Race (8/22)

This is the first in a series of many posts about my EPIC adventure that was the TransRockies Run. While in the Colorado Rocky Mountains for 7 days, I ran 113 miles, meet loads of amazing people, saw some of the most spectacular views ever, and walked away absolutely loving life.


Here is how it all started...


Packing turned out to be far more complicated than I originally thought. Adam Chase gave me load of tips and tricks for a race like this, and trying to fit in all the gear that could be quite crucial, was a challenge.
Maybe all those energy drinks were a bad idea!?!


We (my race partner Toby Radcliffe and I) picked up Jonathan Toker, creator of SaltStick (http://www.saltstick.com/) Saturday afternoon and made the almost 3 hour drive it Buena Vista. It would have been a lot quicker, but those guys had the bladders the size of peas, so we kept stopping to take a leak.


In BV, we checked in for the race and it turned out to be swag city. We got loads of sweet stuff (including a new Timex watch! My collection is almost complete!) Everyone had to get a competitors badge made up and the only picture I had around was one from my previous hair style.

Then came the fun part (not really)! We had to pack all of our stuff in plastic bags (in case it rained) and then pack those into our team duffel bags. It took us forever and we had to leave a bit of stuff behind.



After the first of many massive group dinners, it was off to a friend of a friends house to get some sleep and get ready for the race tomorrow morning.


This was the most comfortable (and I'm sure safest) way for me to travel in the back of a truck!

That night we all packed and re packed our bags trying to get everything in order. By the end of the trip, we were pretty good at it!

Check back soon (as in 1 day) for next instalment of Toby and Will's TransRockies Run